10.05.2009

Somewhat Expected

I received 5 copies of the magazine I created over the summer today. As I expected, I was very disappointed. All that work and time and I see almost nothing of myself in it. This got me thinking. Is this what working is? Do we all just settle to do something that gives us a paycheck so we can live and have things like food, a house and, if we are lucky, spending money? Are we only ourselves in the time between when we have to slug through work? I really wanted to be excited and proud of what I had done but I was more like "ehhh..." I was more excited to open the package. I don't know what to think of this. Is everyone just going to join corporate misery everyday so they can afford their lifestyles and what they would really like to be doing? Does anyone even know what they would really like to do? God knows I dont.

1 comment:

  1. The answer to all questions, with the exception of the last one, is yes. Last one is no.

    What was the magazine and what do you mean by "I created?" Your implication is that there was an editor and/or publisher who messed with your ideas, writing, layout, whatever. That happens a lot. The beauty of this blog is that nobody messes with your words. People comment on them, but you can ignore comments. But it's hard to make a living off a blog, or any internet creation, unless you are Matt Drudge.

    Corporate America is a dehumanizing machine. There are other ways of making a living -- making money doing things you want to do. But that takes imagination, courage, drive. And you have to be in the right time and right place in your life to do such a thing.

    The question is, why do we have to do either? The metanarratives that construct our lives tell us that we have to go to college, then either get a job or go to grad school. What about doing nothing for two years or so? Travel. Meet people. Read. Write. Other societies build that sort of thing into their particular metanarratives -- like Ireland or South Africa.

    So many students are terrified of leaving school. It should be just the opposite. Freedom awaits, if you so choose.

    ps. I like your line: "I was more excited to open the package."

    ReplyDelete