10.14.2009

Wow...not so bad.

I made a 68 on my first Italian Theater essay. Never in my life have I ever failed something like that. Big surprise, I didn't melt. I didn't blow up or get struck by lightening. The earth did not open up and swallow me whole. I'm not proud of myself but I am not ashamed either, which is surprising. I didn't try my hardest but I did try and when I got my paper back it looked like Prof. Grossvogel had a nosebleed in the middle of grading and my paper was the tissue he used to stop the flow. I'm surprised the paper was able to dry before he gave it back it was so ink soaked.

I made a 68 and then life moved on. I laughed. Sometimes you just have to laugh and let it go. I will correct my paper, turn it in, try to salvage what can be saved of my grade and then just get on with it. I'm just trying to make it until May. I'm crawling to the finish line and all of a sudden its like Michael Adams opened the UGA directory, blindly pointed to a name and said "Our lucky winner is Courtney Smith; everyone try to fuck with her every way they possibly can." This is ridiculous, so I laugh. Everyday. Keep on truckin' I guess. Almost there.

2 comments:

  1. I like your red ink simile. If your professor's name is actually Grossvogel, I think you should know that it translates to "big bird" in German - certainly something to think about.

    It's tough to respond to these blogs without sounding preachy or overly contemplative (if there is such a thing) but I'll try and stay within some arbitrary bounds.

    Good for you. We've all had those infuriating moments where we just barely missed the mark. It's frustrating, angering, and to some people enough to cry over. But for whatever reason, when we fail so fantastically that we are literally taken aback, it should be funny. It should serve as a reminder that we take many things too seriously and an occasional fuck-up won't kill us (an idea conventional schooling actively works to eradicate). So let's enjoy our failures, learn from them, and keep on truckin'.

    ~David

    ReplyDelete